This firm is the oldest law firm in Jasper County, Missouri and perhaps the oldest continuing law firm in the state, tracing it’s inception to 1877 when it was founded by the late Senator Samuel McReynolds. The firm was known for many years as McReynolds and Halliburton. The law firm resided 73 years in the Gammon Building on the Northeast corner of the Carthage Square, property formerly owned by John Shirley, father of the infamous Belle Starr. The late John H. Flanigan joined the firm in April 1920. His partner, Senator Allan McReynolds, son of the founding partner, Samuel McReynolds, was a delegate to the Missouri Constitutional Convention and helped draft the present Missouri Constitution of 1945.
Both John H. Flanigan, and his oldest son, John H. Flanigan, Jr., served as interim circuit judges by election of the Jasper County Bar Association during World War II, in the absence of Judge Ray Watson, who was then serving on active duty with the United States Army. When the Missouri Bar was integrated and unified in 1944 by the State Supreme Court, John H. Flanigan was elected by the attorneys of Southwest Missouri as a member of its first Board of Governors. In 1946, he became the first elected outstate president of the Missouri Bar Association.
John H. Flanigan is the author of “A Juror’s Creed” which is widely used in Federal and State courts throughout the nation.
John H. Flanigan’s younger sons, Laurence and George Flanigan, graduated in 1949 from the University of Missouri School of Law both receiving the school’s highest honor – the Order of the Coif. Both served in the armed forces during the second World War and both brothers were selected as Fellows in the American College of Trial Lawyers, an organization open by invitation only to 1% of practicing lawyers. In 1974, George Flanigan became a judge on the Missouri Court of Appeals Southwestern Division.
Replacing George Flanigan in the firm in 1974 was Thadeus C. McCanse, who had previously practiced law for many years in Kansas City and who, also, was a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers. The present partners are William J. Lasley, who joined the firm in 1977, Judy C. Moore, who joined the firm in 1997 after practicing in Albuquerque, New Mexico for almost 7 years, and Peter J. Lasley, who joined the firm one year after Ms. Moore. The most recent addition to the firm is Jeremy Workman, a Neosho, Missouri resident who practiced law in Springfield, Missouri before coming to Carthage in 2006.
William J. Lasley has been a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers since his induction in 1999.
The firm is primarily a civil trial firm which represents both defendant individuals through their insurance carriers and individual plaintiffs in cases arising out of claims involving vehicular accidents, product defects, medical negligence, workers compensation, estate and business disputes and premises injuries. Being located in a rural area, Flanigan, Lasley & Moore, LLP also addresses the requirements of those needing estate administration, wills, real estate documents, small corporations and LLCs and domestic solutions.
The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements. Material presented on the Flanigan, Lasley & Moore, LLP website is intended for information purposes only. It is not intended as professional advice and should not be construed as such.